Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A Mid-Winter's Day Nightmare

Guess what I got to do last week?  After the eggnog, cookies, hors d’oeuvres, turkey, ham, wine and gingerbread, I went shopping for a bathing suit.  I don’t know too many middle-aged women who enjoy bathing suit shopping at any time of year. But when the holiday over-indulgence chickens have come home to roost – on my hips and thighs --bathing suit shopping is the last thing on my list.  OK – maybe not the last – but it’s a close third.  Right behind pap smears and mammograms.

I shouldn’t complain.  (But I will.) As you may have guessed, I need this bathing suit because I’m going somewhere warm and sunny.  My husband and I are heading down to Panama for three weeks.  The last time we were there, I left my favorite bathing suit behind.  I wasn’t too sad because while it was comfortable, it wasn’t very flattering and I had had it for a long time. No love lost there.  My other bathing suit was bought hurriedly before our last trip.  It was one of those “look instantly ten pounds thinner” suits – the kind that is all crinkled up in front as an attempt at optical illusion.  But it feels like what I imagine a corset must have felt like.  It’s hard to breathe deeply and I periodically get lightheaded if I don’t concentrate on getting enough oxygen.  If I fall asleep with it on, I have nightmares involving boa constrictors and being buried alive. Although my waist does look smaller, my head and legs look huge because the excess flesh is forced out either side of the suit – like one of those balls you squeeze to reduce stress.  The ten pounds are merely redistributed.  I am tempted to reach for a pair of scissors when it’s time to take that sucker off.  When, exhausted, I have finally peeled myself out of it, I feel such relief – probably the way poppin’ fresh dough feels right after it’s rapped against the counter.  In other words, I don’t like that suit at all.

They say that styles return.  I have longed for my grandmother’s era bathing costumes to come back into fashion – but I didn’t think it would happen before we had to leave so, alas and alack, the deed had to be done. Having recently lost 15 pounds I was even a little curious to see how this spree would go.  Maybe it wouldn’t be as painful as the last time.

I headed up to Northgate. First stop, Nordstrom.  I thought I’d see what the other half wears on the beach and then see if they had the same thing or something similar at Ross or Target.  Who knows, I thought, maybe I’d find a suit that I liked there and even if it was a tad on the pricey side, if it made me look and feel good, well, I could find a way to justify the expense.

After longingly eyeing the moo moos and maternity clothes, I headed for “Active Wear” and perused the sparse racks, avoiding anything that was crinkled in front. (Fooled me once – not going there again.)  I found a few that looked possible and tried them on.  Not great, but not bad.  I was mildly encouraged.  Then I found it.  A beautiful greenish gold, simply cut, modest yet sexy, feminine, classic suit.  And it fit.  And it looked good. Unbelievable!  Could this be it?  Could I have found a suit on the first try?  I reached for the price tag, fingers crossed, but the price was missing. The sales assistant came back to check on me (I love that. It doesn’t happen in the stores I normally shop in.) I asked her if she could find the price for me.  “Of course,” she said pleasantly.  Behind the closed door, I choked back tears of gratitude.  I tried on a few other suits while waiting but they didn’t compare. Two light raps on my dressing room door and then the words:  “One hundred and seventy eight dollars.”  Wha wha wha….  The bubble burst.  This is NORDSTROM, Irene, and this is what it costs to look good in a bathing suit in your mid-50’s.  But there is no way I can rationalize spending that kind of money on the tiniest item of clothing in my wardrobe.

After considering the possibility that you have to be rich – or 20 - to look good in a bathing suit, I let it go.  Not meant to be. I went back out for one last look around before heading to the discount stores.

Standing next to me I noticed a woman roughly my age, admiring a suit on the adjacent rack.  “Oooh this is so cute,” she said.  We smiled at each other in recognition -- like two people traveling in a foreign country discovering they speak the same language.  “It wouldn’t look the same on as it does off, though,” she said. “I know what you mean,” I agreed, “I keep forgetting that I don’t have that body anymore.” We both laughed and continued looking at the suits. Suddenly, she stopped, looked right at me and said,  “But you know, I have come to realize that I am a really interesting, strong, beautiful woman and I would trade that body any day for what I am now.”

We talked about the way we were in our 20’s.  We both thought we were fat and were hypercritical of ourselves back then.  We had no idea what was coming and so we couldn’t – or didn’t - enjoy what we had.   How could we know that in our 50’s we would look at pictures of ourselves in our 20’s and discover, too late, that we were babes!  Beauties!  Just think when we are in our 80’s what we will say about our 50-year-old selves.  We will see youth and beauty.  We will, once again, wonder why we were so down on ourselves when we looked so good.

Christiana Northrup, in her book, Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom, writes that women between 49 and 55 experience hormonal balance once again, freeing them to pursue creative interests and social action.  “These are the years when all of a woman’s life experience comes together and can be used for a purpose that suits her and at the same time serves others.”  In spite of the media and pharmaceutical companies’ efforts to depict menopause as a dry wasteland – the end of the road -- Northrup points out that during menopause, women discover a “deeper and freer experience of self.”  In Celtic cultures, menopausal women were believed to “retain their wise blood,” ceasing the constant ebb and flow of cycles and thereby becoming more powerful than younger women.  It was only after menopause that a woman could become a shaman.  In Native cultures, menopausal women were “the voice of responsibility towards all children, both human and nonhuman…unafraid to say a strong no to anything that did not serve life.”  These women were looked to by their younger counterparts for education and initiation into this knowledge and responsibility. 

Bathing suits aside, my new friend and I agreed that we are right where we want to be.
Yeah – we’re really good.  Right now.  And it’s only gonna get better.  We high-fived each other and moved on.  Her to who knows where, me to Ross where, by the way, I found two fabulous suits that looked great and cost under $50 – total.

(originally published winter of 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment